Sunday, July 18, 2010

Preserving Photos of Your Child

Editor’s Note: This is the second in a series on some of the interesting workshops held at the National Compassionate Friends Conference July 2-4

Preserving photos and using them in remembrance of your child was another great session at the conference.

Kelly Hoffman shared her personal experience and explained why she finds printed photos and digital photos/books so special.

After the death of her daughter, she wanted to capture all of the special memories and tell the stories behind the photos. Initially, she feared not being able to remember all of the silly, simple, funny and happy times with her, and wanted to put the stories down and document her life. This also gave her something to do with her hands and keep her head busy.

“There is just nothing like having a photo, a scrapbook or a digital photo book to hold in your hand,” said Kelly. “To many, it is not the same as looking at images on the computer and it has become my passion to help others get their photos off the computer and camera and celebrate them.”

Put them on a wall, on your coffee table, in a book or a digital photo book. The process is individual, depending on the person’s goal and desire. If you like scrapbooking, you will be able to create something special with your artistic talents as well as your photos.

Two other ideas for photo uses…

One mother uses pictures in a collage made by a local hospital for an annual remembrance of children no longer with us. Her only son died in October 2006.

“We participate in this event because it helps us to know others who have lost children and allows us to share memories,” said Kenny and Summer Moore. One photo is of her son kissing a dolphin at a Make-a-Wish trip to Orlando. Others were taken with his mother and the father at fun vacation spots. Still another was his 8th grade graduation and one showing off his airbrushed shark tattoo Many of these photos reflect highlights of her child’s life and they shared them all this month in the Alive Alone bereavement newsletter.

As for myself, I have done many photo albums of my daughter and look at them often. Most people don’t want to have to look at photo albums, but will be willing to watch a three-minute slide show with music of my child, highlighting all the special moments and events in pictures. It is rewarding for me to show how proud I am of my daughter and her accomplishments, and I want others to understand who she is and always will be.

We all need to do what is most comfortable for us individually. We will never forget our children, nor should we. Photos keep memories alive in our minds and in our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, good ideas. I just found old 8mm film that my father shot before I was born & had it converted to DVD. I saw me as a baby, my sister at 18 (I was unexpected!), my parents so young and beautiful. It was like a gift from my father 15 years after he left us. Most important, my mother has Alzheimer's but most people with this disease still keep their old memories. Now I can take my laptop to her & play her old movies.

    I also found some short videos I shot of my sons playing video games & playing together, & my deceased son celebrating his 9th birthday with his sister, also born in August. It brought back such vivid memories that I dreamed of him later that night. Another precious gift!

    Videos are just as important & it's much easier nowadays to make, store, and share them. I'll be converting more 8mm's soon.

    ReplyDelete