Sunday, July 8, 2012

Simple Joys of Life

To all of you who responded to my last post about my new grandson through the blog and by email: I can't tell you how much it means to me to hear from those who have also had the joy of having grandchildren, even though you may have lost your precious child.

And although he is not part of me through blood, I have discovered these first few months of his life that it doesn't matter whose blood he has. He is absolutely part of me. Why? Because I love him so, and I know he feels loved by all of us.

He watches us talk to him; he watches us make him smile and laughs out loud. In private moments with him, he imitates blowing bubbles right after I do it, and his tiny legs kick out right after he blows them to emphasize the power of his lungs. He is intent on watching my mouth and if I stick out my tongue and wiggle it, he does the same. He continues to watch to see what my next step will be.

When I am on diaper change patrol, he starts the bubbles blowing and waits patiently to see if I'll respond. I am the only one he does that with. I smile, knowing it is a special bond we have that he doesn't share with anyone else.

He is a happy baby and he has made us happy grandparents. His mom adores him and tells him at least 20 times a day how much she loves him. I'm sure it will be one of the first words he learns: love.

During the day he makes intense talking sounds almost as though giving a speech. I want to believe he is telling us how happy he is to be here on earth with all of us. They are frustrating sounds and shouts; they are never cries. He wants to be able to talk; he obviously can't get words out yet, but oh, is he talking! And so determined. I can tell he'll be a very chatty little boy. I'm pretty sure he will far surpass the chatty girls at his age.

He grabs my index finger and holds tight. I don't want to let go and neither does he. I can tell he will have a strong grip on everything, literally and figuratively. He will know what he wants in life and will go after it.

I hope those of you who are lucky enough to have grandchildren, appreciate them and have found the simple joys that a grandchild can bring to your life now and forever.