Sunday, December 28, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Ten New Years Resolution for bereaved parents to work through:

I will try to use my inner resources to cope with my loss, whether it be alone or with another loved one helping me. In the process I will remember that this is a long journey and not to worry that in my upward journey, I may fall but will have the strength to get up again and continue on.

I will take care of myself and my body with exercise, sleep and eating right, because if I do not, my body will revolt. I must save my energy and use it wisely.

I will not create an artificial front of pretending because of my loss but express my feelings as I work through my child’s death to the best of my ability.

I will remember that I did the very best parenting for my child and that my child knew it and loved me as much as I loved him.

I will use external resources when I feel hopeless or in need of help and not feel ashamed about it.

I will not expect everyone to understand and will try to be patient with those who don’t.

I will try to be happy about something at some time during every day so that eventually it will come naturally.

I will reach out and try to help someone else in pain, knowing it will also help me.

I will talk about my child always whether others feel uncomfortable or not. My child was the most important person in my life and I do not want him or her to be forgotten.

I will fight my way back to a meaningful life once again. That is what my child would have wanted for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment