Sunday, May 23, 2010

What Sayings May Mean To You

This week I’ve thought about three quotes I believe have lots of meaning dealing with children, their life and their death. After each quote I tell you how I relate that quote to my life and the life and death of my daughter. See if you can do the same. It’s part of letting go and knowing we did what we could as parents and should be proud of that.


A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove…but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child. Forest E. Witcraft

My child was brought up with a good background, filled with parents who loved her, and given everything she wanted and needed. She grew into a fine human being and was beginning to make a difference in the world because of who she was. For example, she loved helping people with their problems (maybe because her life was problem free) and was always available to her friends and family. Although her life was cut short when she was killed in an automobile accident, I can only wonder what she would have accomplished given the chance to make this world a better place. I was so proud of her, and she, in turn, loved us and knew how to love others. Her upbringing, my advice, always making time to talk to her and her own keen sense of knowing who she was, were key factors in her accomplishments.


The best thing to spend on our children is our time. Louise Hart

We must make time for our children. We must choose in life what is important to us and what is not. My child was important and teaching her right from wrong, instilling good morals and always being there when she needed me, helped her to develop and grow. I was a very busy person when my daughter was growing up and there were times I could not be there for her. I constantly worried and felt guilty about that time and how it could be detrimental in her upbringing. I was wrong. Putting her in a nursery school setting so I could go back to school to earn my master’s degree turned out to be the best for both of us. She learned to depend on others, she learned communications skills and she learned to adapt to other children. But it made the time we were together very precious and kept us always close. My daughter turned out to be my best friend when she was a teen and older, and I realize that even though I couldn’t spend every second with her, I did bring up a fine human being.


We worry about what a child will become tomorrow,
yet we forget that he is someone today. Stacia Tauscher

I tried very hard not to push what I wanted on my child. I remember that I was so excited when she went to my alma mater. She could be in my sorority because she was a legacy. When she called to tell me that she chose not to be in any sorority, it took me a long time to understand it was her choice to make and not mine. She fared very well in college despite my worries she wouldn’t meet anyone if she didn’t join a sorority. Her dad always wanted her to be an accountant like himself, but that was not in her plans. She was a communication’s person and all on her own got a terrific job as a marketing director for the L.A. Music Center. If you are lucky enough to still have children growing up, set them free and let them fly on their own. I am confident they will find their way.

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick note to tell you how much I especially enjoyed today's "Blog". I always find them interesting but some just "get to me" more than others.

    ReplyDelete