Sunday, July 7, 2013

Enjoying Being a Grandma

I am visiting my grandson who lives in Europe with his mom and enjoying every minute of it. Even though in truth he is my step-grandson from my step-daughter, I love him just the same as though he was my blood.
 
He is named after my daughter (his middle name), and I appreciated it so much when I was told that was what my step-daughter decided to do. Although I realize he is not of my blood, I don't really think it matters. I will be called Grandma when he begins speaking, and I really feel like one.
 
He is so much fun to be with, but, of course like all babies has his good moments and crying moments. He can have a temper when he doesn't get his way and he can look at me with loving, smiling eyes that just melts my heart. I believe his personality reflects what he will become: a sweet, honest, loving man, who will one day make someone very happy.
 
This is the best it can be for me, since Marcy was my only child, but I am fortunate to have this. I know that many are not as fortunate, but I want you all to know that if an opportunity ever arises where you are put in this situation, make the best of it, enjoy what you now have, and treasure each moment you can spend with the child. It won't heal your broken heart, but it will definitely do a lot to mend it.